It is just surprising to believe that a little more than 50 years back, Singapore was nothing but an inconspicuous small little settlement of fishermen. My work has taken me to this wonderful city many times but I always wanted to spend some touristy time in this marvel of South East Asia. Finally Debashree and I could make that happen. It helped her being an Architect, I could hear first hand accounts of the modern architectural marvels that line this city.
These are the top picks from the many architectural installations in this modern city :
- Marina Bay Sands : Probably the most recognizable building in Singapore, this hotel & casino is beyond an architectural marvel. Sitting alongside the picturesque Singapore seashore, it represents the aspirations of a young nation. There is so much to do here and read along of what you need to tick off here during your Singapore vacation :
- Pictures and more pictures : You would great shots of the hotel exterior from near the grounds surrounding the structure. Do not miss to also to go around the wonderfully landscaped bridges and gardens around the Marina Bay Sands ( great for selfies too ).
- Up for some gambling ? : If you wish to go all out, a definite visit is to the lovely Casino at the Marina Bay Sands. It has it all – black jack, roulette and your imagination. If you’re not the gambling person like me, do visit still, just to soak in the amazing ambiance and vibe. Rows of gaming stations on a bright red carpet floor with free soda and water on the house. Do remember to carry your passport, they will check it at the entrance ( interestingly Singaporean passport holders are not allowed to enter the gambling floor ). So, enjoy the privilege !
c. Stay / Eat : If you have the budget for it or treating your spouse to a luxury vacation, book a room at the Marina Bay Sands and stay there – it would be so worth it. You could also dine at the many restaurants at the hotel, specially the ones on the SkyBar with a view to match the food.
d. Ride to the observation deck : Do this or regret later, this is an amazing spot to view the picturesque city state of Singapore. Tickets can be bought a month in advance online ( check for some amazing deals on sites such as Voyagin ) or buy directly at the many counters at the hotel.
- The Interlace ( Stacked Buildings ) : Architects are these amazing magicians who can just wow you with their tricks. Abra Ca Dabra and here is this “pack of cards” like amazing residential structure called the Interlace. Singapore has always faced challenges of shortage of land and the city state has always come up with something amazing to cope up. This building is surely one in that direction with beautiful and luxurious apartments that stand out. Definitely visit and get wowed.
- Sandcrawler : Just when you thought, you had seen it all – this just blows up your mind. I don’t know what to make of this structure. I guess the architect wanted to play with your mind – is it an UFO, is it a horse shoe shaped modern structure, is it a garden – decide for yourself. This modern office building is some place that you would love to stare into blank space while working ( well not if you were the boss ).
- The Sail @ marina bay